Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Famiglia di Weston

What do you know about the Westons? My own knowledge of the family is very limited, which might seem embarrassing seeing as I work for them. Don't get excited. I'm not their maid or their gardener. I work at Loblaws, and today I served Mr. Weston's butler and personal chef. He purchased $545 worth of Loblaws foodstuffs.

"No big deal."

So I decided to chat with Mr. Weston's butler about how he came about this job and what working for the family is like. He comes from the West part of France and has worked for several families all over the world. He had just come from the Caribbean where he waited on a very wealthy family. When I asked him how he felt about leaving his family behind constantly he was impartial. He enjoyed the time to himself.

He said the entire Weston family does not live under the same roof as they have homes all over the world. (Had to hold my breath here. Holy magnanimous wealth!!) They are apparently very friendly and he has greatly enjoyed working for them for the past month. He plans to continue working for the Weston's for just about over a year.

So I did some research. Here are some basic facts:

- Galen Weston is worth around $7.1 billion (GASPING FOR AIR)
- He was ranked by Forbes as the second wealthiest man in Canada...
- ...and 133rd in the world (CAN. NOT. BREATHE.)
- The Weston family maintains control over:
- Loblaws Companies Ltd.
- Holt Renfrew (Mme. Hilary Weston is the deputy chair)
- Selfridges in the U.K.
- Brown Thomas in Ireland
- and the De Bijenkorf department store chain in the Netherlands

I mean, wow. Incredible, really. This family is rolling around in green and have their hands in so many successful industrial and commercial pockets all over the world. They're also very involved in charitable business and founded the Garfield Weston Foundation which has raised almost $200 million dollars in the past ten years.





And I was the lucky cashier that served his butler and personal chef.



No comments:

Post a Comment